Monday, December 22, 2008
I had forgotten about this book, but it was another favorite of the year. Passion for God by Lyle Dorsett. It was a biography about AW Tozer. It open my eyes to a man who loved God and whose walk has brought many closer to Christ, yet he was a sinner to and needed God's grace just as much as I. Here's review about it that is much more eloquently written.
By far my favorite book I have read this past year is 'Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor' by DA Carson. The book is about a man who never did great things but loved God. His faithfulness to God blows me away. You should read it. Here is a great review about it by a man who is much more eloquent with his words than I.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
My random observations from the day :)
1. While at the mall, two different store employees commented on me dancing randomly. Hmmm...that could be a bad thing since I can't dance at all, but it is so fun.
2. Sleet is now my new favorite form of precipitation. Mostly because it is really fun to dance in...yeah I was in a dancing kick tonight. I also loved driving with my window down in sleet with the radio on full blast though it hurt a bit when it hit my eye.
3. Two strangers helped my friend and I scrape off our cars. Then we got to help some other strangers scrape off theirs. It is amazing how much joy you can find from helping someone out.
4. I love seeing old friends.
5. The chinese place at Jordan Creek has amazing steamed rice! Amazing rice! Seriously you should try it. You won't regret it. It reminded me of the rice at the Drunken River (it was called that) in Wuhan. By far the best rice I had eaten in China.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
"When one person is struck by the Word, he speaks it to others. God has willed that we should seek and find His living Word in the witness of a brother, in the mouth of man. Therefore, the Christian needs another Christian who speaks God's Word to him. He needs him again and again when he becomes uncertain and discouraged, for by himself he cannot help himself without belying the truth. He needs his brother man as a bearer and proclaimer of the divine word of salvation. He needs his brother solely because of Jesus Christ."
Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Monday, December 15, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
First semester has officially ended with the culmination of the freshman group Christmas party. It is amazing to think it has four months since the kick-off. Wow! It honestly feels like maybe a month has passed since we all gathered on central campus. God blows me away at what I have been privileged to witness these past months. I'll write more about that later.
The freshman group Christmas parties is one of those things that doesn't take a whole lot of planning but freshmen always have a blast. This year we did a scavenger hunt first, then headed off to the church for snacks, a few games, and lots of dodgeball (also some Elf action.) The scavenger hunt turned out amazing!
Here's what they had to do:
People to meet (get these signatures)
-a person over 60
-a stranger that you hugged
-a police officer
-an elf at the mall
-a starbuck's employee
Things to Grab
-a McDonald's napkin
-a candy cane
-a receipt for 11 cents of gas paid with cash
-a water from B-bops (also randomly costs 11 cents)
My favorite---a xerox with every team members hand together
Places to Go
-What is the soup of the day at Perkins?
-How many bathroom stalls at the Super Walmart?
-How many bike racks in front of the Ames Library?
-What movie is playing in theater 9 at Movies 12?
My other Favorite--Go to 1225 Northwestern Ave and carol. (This is my neighbor Phil who is 70 and absolutely loved being a part of this. Seeing his eyes light up everytime a group went up to his door was priceless.)
My third favorite was that every group also had to complete a random act of kindness. The students did anything from pay for a whole family's cookies at the mall to buy a teddy bear to donate to give candy canes out to kids to hold doors open to pay for the coffee for the person behind them.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
This past weekend was awesome. The top 10 best things were....
10. Trying on countless mickey mouse ears.
9. Riding the teacups for the first time.
8. Watching the castle be lit up.
7. Seeing Kelsey love all of the Jimmy Neutron stuff at Universal Studios
6. Seeing my sisters bond in tears while watching fireworks as a song was playing about being home for Christmas.
5. Lots of free hot chocolate (at the perfect temperature) and lots of free cookies.
4. Meeting my favorite disney character Stitch!!!
3. Losing my cellphone Thursday night, searching everywhere for it, looking under this tree everytime I passed it thinking maybe I lost it while taking jumping pictures, praying a lot asking God for it, listening to the voice mail minutes before checking out that security found it Saturday night nowhere near the tree, but also nowhere near where I had actually walked the night I lost it, thanking God for giving back my cell phone even when I didn't deserve it.
2. Dance party with Goofy!
1. Hanging out with my sisters.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Today I'm flying down to Orlando to visit Kassie and Kelsey. The weather is going to be perfect with highs in the mid 70's every day I am there! I am super excited to hang out with my sisters and to see the sun shine!
Saturday, November 29, 2008
I went to close one of my checking accounts today. I did not know the lady behind the counter, so she asked for my name and looked up my account. She then gave me the $54 I had in the account and closed it. Never once did she ask for an ID or for my account number.