Sunday, September 27, 2009

Capital Pursuit

I officially finished running the 10 mile Capital Pursuit race. I'm sure most of you don't care about the little details, so feel free not to actually read rest of this post. (Really I'm sure 90% of you don't really care about any of the lame details of my life, so I'm not really sure why you read this and 5% of you are my family so you feel like you have to read this because yes I will quiz you...hmmm...)

So back to the race. I started off way too fast which led to massive shin splints during the second mile. I then convinced myself in the pain that I was never going to run ever again in my life. I was done. Yes I am a wuss who does not like any sort of pain. Then the race route went right by my parked car and I was so tempted to be done, but my competitive nature would not have any of that. Luckily around mile 4 the shin splints were gone and I realized again that I really do enjoy running. Around that time I had a nice little chat with two ladies which made the run a little more enjoyable too.

A little after mile 5, my good friend Travis stood in his front yard to cheer me on. It made me smile and gave me a bit more energy. Then the real joy of the run came because we got to run down Ingersoll. (Sidenote: last week I ran up Ingersoll and decided it was one giant hill and I pretty much hated it. It's much more enjoyable to run down the big giant hill...much much more.)

I usually run 12.5 minute miles when I do my long runs (yes, I know I am slow. I think the Sloss gene wouldn't have it any other way.) But I ran 11.5 minute mile which totally made my day!!!!

In the end, I'm glad I did it. It got me really excited for the half marathon in 3 weeks.

9 comments:

Sarah S said...

Go, Kaci, go! Woohoo!!!!

Kelsey said...

i was really excited not to read this post. but i did.
proof: yeah for running down big hills

Kassie said...

I am part of the 5%. Yay for Kaci! But I do think you might be over-estimating your non-family readership.

kaci said...

Kassie I think you are right. More realistically 60% of the readership is family :)

sloppydoc said...

That is pretty pathetic

sloppydoc said...

Wait ... I should clarify, Travis only standing in his front yard is pathetic ... what he couldn't exert any more effort than standing in his front yard?

;)

Good Job.

Do I count as family? I mean at this point I would have to marry in to make it official. Good news is, in Iowa it could actually happen ...

kaci said...

yes, it could happen in Iowa. Travis did actually walk to the middle of the Blvd and give me a high five. I guess I minimized his role here.

*Lesli* said...

I read the whole post. Just sayin'...Congratulations and good job not giving up :)

Travis said...

Aye, I did give her a high five. Perhaps I would have run alongside for a bit if I wasn't about to leave for Church. We'll get a solid cheering section going for the half-marathon. Also, I'm glad and honored to have assumed the role of "good friend".