Thursday, September 17, 2009

Coping Skills

I was talking to a first grader at work about coping skills. Him and I were creating something out of play-dough that reminded us of a time when we really got angry. He told me about his, and we talked about the coping skills he used that time. I created a little man (he was red) and talked about a time when one of my really close friends lied to me. I then asked him what kind of coping skills I could have used in that situation. He quickly responded by saying "tell your dad." Oh little children, if only all of life's problems could still be solved by telling your dad.

Then I was thinking what do I use as a coping skill when I'm sad, angry, frustrated, or any other negative emotion. The number one thing I do is talk to God, my dad. It is amazing how much wisdom this little first grader spoke into my life. I think back to that experience where I was lied to and felt betrayed that I so beautifully replicated with play-dough. What did I do? I cried out to my daddy. He comforted me. He is my rock. He is my strong tower. He is my hope.

No comments: