Saturday, May 8, 2010

We're Writers

As I was driving my minivan (and oh how I love my minivan (except for the small turning signal issue)) today pondering life, I was thinking about all of the letters, notes, journals, emails, blogposts my mom left behind.

A lot.

Journals from when she was dating my dad.  Journals of each of her kids lives.  Magazine articles that were published. Short stories that were published. Editorials to the Perry Chief and Des Moines Register.  Weekly cards just because. Letters sharing why she thought you were the greatest. Emails sharing family gossip.  Emails of just memories she had because she didn't want those memories to die with her.  Blog posts of her weekly happenings (I printed off her blog in book form for my family for Christmas; I still haven't been able to bring myself to read it.)  Poems of her heartache when she lost her sister.

My mom left us a legacy.

A legacy that words are important.  They matter.  They last beyond your breath.

My sisters and I have been gifted with this legacy.  We are writers.  We love words.  We may not be the most eloquent, but we still value them above all.

I want to live that legacy.  I want to be a person that leaves words for her children.  A person that leaves words behind for the people around that she loves.  Words matter to people.  They show they are valued.  They are wanted.

I will live this legacy.

4 comments:

Kassie said...

I like it :)

Kelsey said...

i was onced called a sexy writer.. it made my day. :)
i guess we are all "sexy" writers.

Tiffany said...

You are so lucky to have all of that and the legacy.

Madame Rubies said...

I hope I can leave such a legacy for my children, one day.