Monday, January 2, 2012

Life without Internet

I have a couple of real excuses for why the blog posts have been very few and far between this year.  First of all when you have a desktop computer that is nine years old, it has definitely seen its better years.  You would have to restart it 3 to 5 times to get the internet to work.

Finally Ryan and I decided lets buy a new laptop in Septemberish.  It was wonderful to be able to be on the computer while on the couch.  I was so exciting for all of the future blogging that would happen.

But then, Ryan and I decided to move to the middle of nowhere, 1.4 miles outside of a town of 1,000 people.  Who would have thought there are actually places in America where there is still no access to high speed internet?  There are....shocking, I know.  The only internet we would have available to us would be dial-up.  (Yeah dial-up, that thing from middle school.)

Not having instant access to internet anytime you want has been this strange giving me this strange sense of cleansing.  It is slightly freeing to know that I won't respond to emails right away or see every tweet out there. It's slightly freeing to now pinterest won't take over my life.

It is strange one of the big things I think not having internet has hurt is my cooking.  I didn't realize how often I would look up recipes on the internet and compare them and mark my favorites in google reader.

Ryan and I are looking into getting an iphone or getting a phone that will give us a wireless connection, so we'll see.  In the meantime I will love this refreshing freedom.

No comments: