Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Foster Care

Ever since my sophomore year of college if someone would have asked me what my dream job was I would and still would say to be a stay at home foster parent.  It's strange but I feel like this is why I was created.  This is what I am supposed to do. 

Ryan has always known this about me and he was willing to be on board some day.  Not knowing when that someday was, could be in a few years, ten years, 15 years.  I knew this wasn't something I could push on him because it wouldn't work if only one parent was fully committed.  

Last Spring I wrestled a lot with being impatient and discontent where God had put me.  I was ready to go to the next stage of life (I'm learning this is a very very common thing I struggle with.) I had mentioned this once to Ryan briefly.  God told me then to pray.  Pray for strength to be content, to appreciate the place where God had put me at that point.  To pray that Ryan and I's desires would align.  

About a month later after Ryan had hung out with some guys, I asked him what they had did.  Ryan talked about how he had shared that God was prompting him to take the next step in his life, to do more than he was doing, to sign up for the foster care class.  I was flabbergasted.  I'm sure I sat there with my mouth open for five minutes not saying anything and then I easily had a smile plastered on my face for the next week.

After going to the first class, sending in our fingerprints and waiting for a class with opening, we have now started the foster care classes.  We just complete week two, eight more classes left.  

I still have no idea what God will do with this.  We know we want to be certified, so we can do respite care on the weekends for families that are doing foster care right away.  When God is going to say it is time to take in foster kids, I don't know.  Maybe in a year, five, ten.  Until then I know we have taken the step of obedience we needed to take and I'm so excited to see where God is going to take us on this journey.  

1 comment:

cindy said...

I am looking forward to being a foster grandma. It is truly a worthy ministry and it sounds like God has called both of you to this ministry!!