Sunday, May 13, 2012

Today

As I sit at my mother's grave, memories flood my mind. I love the family picture my dad choose for her tombstone. That day was the happiest day of my mom's life.

I want to remember that day.

I don't want to remember the months she spent in the hospital. The years she struggled to breathe. The days she couldn't get out of bed. The anxiety she faced daily as she fought to live. The ugliness of addiction.

That day she was on top of the world. That day, her surprise 53rd birthday, she smiles and smiled. She cried tears of great joy being surrounded by the ones she loved.

I think that day was one of my best days of my life too. When you give a gift to someone that is so greatly treasured, they give you an even greater gift back.

5 comments:

Actuary Mom said...

Me too.

kinsey said...

I love this.

*Lesli* said...

that's beautiful.

*Lesli* said...

that's beautiful.

TRS said...

What a nice memory.

I certainly relate to your stories differently now that I've lost my dad.

One of my favorite memories of Dad is from his 75th birthday. We tried to throw a surprise party (those never work!) but he was surprised that 80-100 people showed up! Dad walked around socializing that night saying, "Is there something you're not telling me? Is my funeral tomorrow? I didn't expect to see this many people until my wake!"
I loved that... how often do people go through life not knowing how many people care for them... no one shows up until there's a funeral.

we were glad to have their 50th Anniversary party just two months before dad died. It was wonderful.